The school is abuzz with excited children when their favourite lunch is being prepared. Why not try these delicious crowd pleasers at home?
Hot roast pork rolls & gravy
- Cook the roast pork and remove from the pan. You’re going to use the pan juices to make gravy.
- Add 1 tbsp of flour to pan juices and cook over a medium-hot element, whisking for 5 minutes while scraping all of the crusty bits in. It will be a thick paste at this point.
- Add 1 cup of water and mix into a paste and cook for a further 5 minutes until it thickens up.
- Serve slices of pork and gravy on fresh bread rolls. Yum!
Oven baked fish with fried rice
- Simply oven bake the fish (we use Atlantic Pollock) while you are making the fried rice.
- Boil the rice (1 cup dried = 2 cups cooked).
- Boil veggies until tender. We use peas, corn carrot, cauliflower & green beans.
- Pan fry onion, egg and ham, and fry together with veggies and rice.
- Serve fried rice topped with baked fish. Yum!
- Cook the spaghetti while you are making the sauce.
- Fry onion, garlic and bacon (or ham) in a pan until onion softens.
- Add mince and cook stirring to break up lumps for 5 minutes or until brown.
- Stir in bolognese seasoning (we use Masterfoods), chopped carrot and celery. Cook stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes and 1 cup water or stock. Simmer until sauce thickens.
- Divide spaghetti between bowls and spoon over the sauce.
- Sprinkle with cheese and serve. Yum!
- Fry skinless chicken in a deep pan. When cooked, remove from pan and shred the chicken. Set aside.
- Use the same pan to fry onion until it softens.
- Stir in 1/2 cup butter chicken curry paste, diced cauliflower and potato. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes and 1 cup water or stock.
- Simmer until potato and cauliflower are tender and then blend or mash up this curry broth.
- Add the chicken back into the pan, and add beans, spinach and lemon juice. Stir until the beans are tender.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with bread or naan. Yum!