School attendance advice for parents
Trevor Wilson is a ‘Yellow Shirt’ (School Attendance Officer) for the Remote School Attendance Strategy at Milikapiti. He is also a father.
Getting kids to school is a 24-hour job for Trevor. He is passionate about motivating kids to go to school all day every day, and has lots of great advice for parents:
- Offer your kids rewards for going to school, such as end of term trips, or Christmas shopping.
- Sometimes kids play up, but don’t let them play up too much.
- Talk to your kids about what they want to do with their lives.
- Help your kids understand that school will open doors for a brighter future.
- Older kids will need to be prepared to go away for high school or university.
- Kids need a good 9-10 hours sleep so they are fresh and ready to go in the morning.
- During the week, the normal routine should be: Go to bed early. Get up early.
- Let your kids sleep in on the weekend, then on Monday morning it’s back to normal.
And remember, a delicious breakfast is served at Milikapiti School at 8 o’clock every morning thanks to the School Nutrition Program.